Thursday, March 5, 2009

First Impressions

This is a little long so if you want the short update and to see pictures, you can scroll down to the two posts below this.

O cratered moon and sparrow's wings
O thunder's boom and Saturn's rings
Unveil our Father as you sing
And my soul wells up with hallelujahs


Oh praise Him all His mighty works
There is no language where you can't be heard
Your song goes out to all the Earth
Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah!


The pulse of life within my wrist
A fallen snow, a rising mist
There is no higher praise than this
And my soul wells up
O my soul wells up
Yes my soul wells up with hallelujahs

These are a few verses from one of my favorite Chris Rice songs. I usually feel the closest to the Lord when I’m at home in the majestic Rocky Mountains, but I’ve been surprised to feel the same awe of sensing his presence walking down the busy streets of New York City. I know I’m not in another country but every time I go outside, I feel like I am. My neighborhood (Washington Heights) is heavily populated with Dominican Republicans. In fact, we have the highest population outside of Santo Domingo. Spanish fills the tiny aisles in the local grocery store, the crowded subway and the bustling streets. I just read a statistic that said in 2005, 14% of the population of Washington Heights was white. I love it!!

Before I left, a friend shared Deuteronomy 31:8 with me, “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” She said isn’t it great to know that God is already in NYC? I don’t think I had ever thought about God being here. I went to Nav Night last night at NYU. It’s like a haven amidst the bustling streets. The students who are accepted to NYU are literally world changers. We commissioned several students last night who are working on major projects-a movie, an album and a band tour this summer and entering photographs in art studios. It was exciting as we prayed for them to think the impact these projects will have on the generations to come.

Someone told me that being in New York is like being in a movie and it's so true. It's incredible that all the famous things you always hear about are just everywhere. I saw the Empire State Building on my way to Kmart! It's kind of surreal.

New York invigorates the senses. The air is a surprisingly pleasant aroma of clean laundry, grilled meat, trash and exhaust. Taxi horns, children laughing, rap music and sirens fill the streets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aimee, it's surreal reading everything and you are LIVING it!!
What a gift you are to the staff and students there! This is your OVERSEAS state-side training program! Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

Aimee,
it is so cool to hear about your first impressions of New York! It made me think that God knows a lot of people!! The even more incredible thing though, is that He is drawing every single person to Himself in some way!
I hope this is a great time for you =)